Follow the YogaSlackers latest posts, videos and donation information.
Wenger is proud to sponsor Team
YogaSlackers, an eclectic mix of extreme endurance athletes, master
yogis, rugged adventurers, and talented slackliners (some members are
all four!) who all share a passion for environmental education and
Team YogaSlackers will be taking part in the Rickshaw Run from December 29, 2012 through January 14, 2013.
The Rickshaw Run is a loosely organized race, drawing 300 international teams from around the world who drive auto rickshaws (also known as Tuk Tuk’s, three wheeled cabin cycles) into the mayhem that is India. They can choose their own route, but they must finish the race within 14 days, with their rickshaw in one piece. Aside from simply surviving, the team will be raising money for the Frank Water Project which funds sustainable clean water solutions in developing countries. (Image: the YogaSlackers' rickshaw).
Check out the Rickshaw Run trailer below.
The YogaSlackers will set out to complete the roughly 3000 km-4000km journey (depending on their route choice). Along the way they will be teaching yoga, slackline yoga, and acroyoga in the parks throughout India (check out the race route by clicking on the map)
- Starting point: Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
- Ending point: Cochin, Kerala
- Race starts: January 1, 2013
- Race ends: January 14, 2012
Show your support for Team YogaSlackers by purchasing a custom made Wenger Swiss Army Knife, with 100% of the proceeds going to the Frank Water Project.
The Rickshaw Run - A Brief Guide
- January 20, 2013
We Are Home...
- January 14, 2013 - 5:21AM on Monday
We finished! It's hot and lovely!
- January 14, 2013 - 2:05AM on Monday
Enjoyed the beach for a spell, time for lunch and the victory lap in Cochin!
- January 13, 2013 - 1:29PM on Sunday
As far as we can tell, the coast route is a go! Time to camp on the beach- rest up for the relaxing putt into Cochin.
- January 13, 2013 - 4:55am on Sunday
Keep up with Jason Magness, Chelsey Marie Magness, Daniel Staudigel, Chris Harden & Kristy Harden!
- January 13, 2013 - 10:35am on Sunday
Some confusion about the last stretch to Cochin! Taxi driver says one thing, locals say another, map says yet another! We're just following the road signs.
- January 13, 2013 - 12:05am on Sunday
Very sad that its our last full day in the shaws, we don't want it to be over!
- January 13, 2013 - 12:05am on Sunday
Woke up to the sounds of waves crashing and of course a crowd of Indians watching our morning rituals of yoga and packing. Headed down the coast!
- January 12, 2013 - 10:05am on Saturday
We just stumbled on a national cultural festival! Watch it live at Nammakudlanews.com. We were ushered by "the beloved chairman" himself.
- January 11, 2013 - 10:50pm on Friday
We are staying as safe as possible;) thanks mom and Jeff!
- January 11, 2013 - 11:51AM on Friday
We are out of tourist city! Just stopped for an awesome dinner, and the bill was 6 bucks! Now to find a camping spot, we've been warned about bandits! Exciting.
- January 11, 2013 - 9:18AM on Friday
Blasting old-school Eminem, bouncing down the Indian countryside!
- January 11, 2013 - 7:59AM on Friday
Just so folks know- we are all still together! We stopped using the far-behind tracker.
- January 11, 2013 - 6:51AM on Friday
Rush hour traffic jams are insane here!! Hoping to not get crushed!
- January 11, 2013 5:36AM on Friday
Beaches, here we come!!!
- January 11, 2013 - 5:34AM on Friday
After an amazing day of water lining over the river, we are leaving Hampi for the wild life refuge and the coast!!
- January 9, 2013 - 8:06AM on Wednesday
Just saw our first westerners in days! They looked petrified by the tuk-tuk ride they were enduring... Reminds me of our first few days.
- January 9, 2013 - 5:38AM on Wednesday
Sam got surrounded by feral pigs while going to the bathroom! Fortunately, he was able to finish his business and return alive.
- January 9, 2013 - 2:43AM on Wednesday
Highway driving is boring! We've started lobbing water balloons and doing yoga on/in the shaws. It's also getting ridiculously hot- beach, here we come!
- January 9, 2013 - 1:09AM on Wednesday
On the open road to Hampi- haven't had to pass an ox cart in hours! Are we still in India?
- January 8, 2013 - 7:23AM on Tuesday
Just debuted a new style of slacklining tentatively called "positive space lining". So much fun and crazy feeling. Hopefully not too many hurt vegetables.
- January 8, 2013 - 4:45AM on Tuesday
Reminder, we don't see messages if you comment on FB, as we don't have wifi (hoping tonight!) please send via YogaSlackers.com!
- January 8, 2013 - 4:16AM on Tuesday
We will send you a knife if you donate 30 or more!
- January 8, 2013 - 4:15AM on Tuesday
We love the messages! Keep them coming, if we are entertaining you, please donate, even 5 dollars goes a long way!!!!!
- January 8, 2013 - 4:12AM on Tuesday
Thank you AshOK!
- January 8, 2013 - 3:11AM on Tuesday
Having a good day of driving, starting to have fresh papaya and coconuts!
- January 7, 2013 - 10:01PM on Monday
Good Morning its 816am late start despite getting up to shoot the sunrise. We are 700km from amazing boulders & after 7 days of being sick I'm ready 2climb
- January 7, 2013 - 8:40AM on Monday
Stopped at alora caves, they were beautiful!!! We did some yoga, some chanting and played with the monkeys, now we are on the road again:)
- January 7, 2013 - 4:38AM on Monday
Getting to the bottom of the music, spice girls, Phil Collins, weird al, yes!!!!!
- January 7, 2013 - 4:33AM on Monday
Driving up crazy mtn passes bumpin the tunes, Stopped at the top for some acro, and monkeys everywhere! Even on top of our shaws:) -Chelsey
- January 6, 2013 - 11:34PM on Sunday
Fuel filter was fine, apparently the melted spark plug wire was the only issue. Something serious happened in Dhule- can't read the news though!
- January 6, 2013 - 10:57PM on Sunday
Should be no problem but the huge city we are in "Dhule" is literally closed today. Anyone want to tell us why?
- January 6, 2013 - 10:54PM on Sunday
Need a new spark wire and fuel filter.
- January 6, 2013 - 12:51PM on Sunday
Driving through the night- came across a full-fledged Indian carnival, blocking the highway. Live Bollywood anyone?
- January 6, 2013 - 9:35AM on Sunday
After dinner we decided to head on through the night even though our waiter warned against it, why? We asked, because of tigers!! Here we go..
- January 6, 2013 - 7:25AM on Sunday
It's 537 pm, and we are finally having breakfast after a epic 100 km day through mtn ranges and crazy roads , these rickshaws are amazing!!!!
- January 6, 2013 - 6:59AM on Sunday
We made it!!!!
- January 6, 2013 - 5:02AM on Sunday
Hoping we make it to a town!!! We are running on chai and 2 bananas!
- January 6, 2013 - 5:00AM on Sunday
So we have no idea where we are.... Big mtn, dirt 4by4 roads, running on hopes and dreams!!!
- January 6, 2013 - 4:26AM on Sunday
Shaws made it off the boats, somehow much easier the second time. Not so much of a city on this side- more like a few shacks...
- January 6, 2013 - 3:32AM on Sunday
Rickshaws made it onto two separate boats!! How, I'm still not sure. Anything is possible in India. Now for the slow ferry across, and getting them off!
- January 6, 2013 - 2:43AM on Sunday
Negotiation is hard- everybody says yes, but nobody knows what they're agreeing to!
- January 6, 2013 - 2:26AM on Sunday
Chelsey and Chris have returned, with someone who is convinced it can work! Now to figure out how...
- January 6, 2013 - 12:52AM on Sunday
Aaand, we're separated. Chelsey and Chris were just ushered onto a bus to someone who speaks English. Have yet to see a boat capable of carrying us across.
- January 5, 2013 - 11:48PM on Saturday
We have lots of amazing photos to share, but no Internet for another day? Or so;
- January 5, 2013 - 11:33PM on Saturday
Should have brought our pack rafts'.
- January 5, 2013 - 11:31PM on Saturday
We are headed to a huge river where the locals say that there is no way across... We are taking that as a challenge:) hoping for a boat???!!
- January 5, 2013 - 10:10PM on Saturday
India is the land of surprises! We woke up in the morning locked IN to our hotel. We spent a good hour figuring out how to get back to the shaws!
- January 5, 2013 - 6:01AM on Saturday
Just pulled a dodge and weave through truck gridlock into oncoming. Dan argued against it on principle. But we followed a motorcycle (with newborn). Good move!
- January 5, 2013 - 5:55AM on Saturday
Just got lost in a town that does not show up on our maps or gps. Glad we brought a compass!
- January 5, 2013 - 4:18AM on Saturday
- January 5, 2013 - on Saturday
Ahh. Several in the party have the sprays and generally feel less than good. Hoping lemon soda will live up to its fabled nausea fighting powers
- January 5, 2013 - on Saturday
Anything goes in India! Oxen, camels, herds of sheep and cows on the hwys! Driving here is a blast!
- January 5, 2013 - on Saturday
Morning yoga and run done now for some chai and breakfast, we are hoping to make it into the mtns tonight!
- January 4, 2013 - 10:31AM on Friday
Bedding down behind a "hotel" that only serves food. Once again, we're the center of attention- completely confused about what makes us so interesting...
- January 4, 2013 - 8:11AM on Friday
Made it to Himitnagar, rendezvous with K&C successful! Time for food and to not drive in the dark any more...
- January 4, 2013 - 5:38AM on Friday
New carb running like a top. Heading to himitnagar to meet scoop up Chris and kristy and get the team all together. Tunes pumping, sun setting. All good
- January 4, 2013 - 3:41AM on Friday
Driving in cities is crazy! Dodging cars, rickshaws, cows, tractors, dogs, pedestrians, jeeps... I'm amazed every time we make it through without incident.
- January 4, 2013 - 2:28AM on Friday
Stopped to replace the stuck-open carburetor. $16, a Wenger knife, and a few stickers later, we're back at 100%, with full bellies: living the Indian dream.
- January 4, 2013 - 12:22AM on Friday
We are out of gas for the 6th time in the yoga shaw...trying to figure out why it's such a gas guzzler! Slacker shaw is running great!
- January 3, 2013 - 11:51PM on Thursday
Slept next to the chai stand,cold night! Just finished morn run to the top of a small rock formation 4 some acro and exploration! Now to meet up with K&C!!
- January 3, 2013 - 9:49AM on Thursday
We've had a good day! We'll have a shorter day tomorrow, ending in Himitnagar, where we'll meet up with K&C. Looking forward to having them back on board!
- January 3, 2013 - 9:44AM on Thursday
Palanpur looks like a no-go. Heading straight to himitnagar, through Abu Road. Anyone with an Internet connection have any beta? Possible?
- January 3, 2013 - 9:15AM on Thursday
Stopped at a random spot on the side of the road- "hungry?", a guy gesticulated, and now we've got some food on the way and Chai in the belly. I love India!
- January 3, 2013 - 8:15AM on Thursday
Just got dark- we're taping some Fenix TK21s to the roof, and we're going to press on another 10k to the next town
- January 3, 2013 - 5:32AM on Thursday
Tomorrow, we'll pass through Palanpur and himatnagar. We're hoping to meet up with K&C in one of those towns.
- January 3, 2013 - 3:57AM on Thursday
Ok, don't know the next towns, just went through bursar? Camping somewhere in a few hours. Where are K&C?
- January 3, 2013 - 3:54AM on Thursday
Stopped to have lunch, we are loving the road side amazing goodness! Driving is great, only ran out of gas twice.
- January 3, 2013 - 2:01AM on Thursday
Stopped for lunch in Barmer- hopin' for some good roadside grub!
- January 3, 2013 - 1:40AM on Thursday
Filling gas for what feels like the 10th time today... We really gotta figure out a better system. Close to a town, it's lunchtime!
- January 3, 2013 - 12:31AM on Thursday
Thanks for the messages of love and support. Great to know we have an army of wonderful people rooting for us!
- January 3, 2013 - 12:05AM on Thursday
The roads are great so far! We ended up taking about 5 kids to school- and wished we could have fit more!
- January 2, 2013 - 9:19PM on Wednesday
Gassed up and on the road. Cold desert air nibbling on our hands- but it feels good to be moving again (at about 30mph).
- January 2, 2013 - 10:51AM on Wednesday
Shaw is fixed! Our mechanic begged us to let him keep the Fenix light we loaned him to work after dark. We had an extra one, so we gave it to him.
- January 2, 2013 - 6:16AM on Wednesday
Checked out the busted shaw - starting to look normal again! Should be done in a few hours.
- January 1, 2013 - 11:33PM on Tuesday
Day off in town while the yellow rickshaw gets bent back into shape. Maybe we can fix the blue rickshaw's gearbox and maybe a shave and a haircut for Dan?
- January 1, 2013 - 6:09AM on Tuesday
Just became our hero!
- January 1, 2013 - 6:08AM on Tuesday
The blue shaw Whig is running rough and falls out of gear.
- January 1, 2013 - 5:43AM on Tuesday
We are headed back to jailaalmer. Rickshaw smashed up but still runs kinda. Gonna try and limp back from the desert.
- January 1, 2013 - 5:22AM on Tuesday
Matt, this is the YogaSlackers, we just got hit. Badly everyone is ok , we think. But our rickshaw is ****** up badly. We are 10 km outside of khuri.
- January 1, 2013 - 4:47AM on Tuesday
We just got run off the road! Everything's fine, but lesson learned... Cars > the shaw, despite our cool paint job.
- January 1, 2013 - 3:59AM on Tuesday
Back on the road, not sure what we did that fixed the "gearbox". Desert winds keeping us cool. Waving at every confused local we pass.
- January 1, 2013 - 2:43AM on Tuesday
Thanks for all the love and support guys and gals! We're thinking of you all while we tinker with this transmission...
- January 1, 2013 - 2:14AM on Tuesday
Started the drive- broken down after 3km! Re-aligning front wheel by force of will and a bit of hope... How much 2-stroke oil are we supposed to mix again?
- January 1, 2013 - 1:36AM on Tuesday
About to start. 75 crazy rickshaws lined up and ready to tuk tuk away into the Indian sunset.
- December 31, 2012 - 11:20pm on Monday
We made the paper:)
- December 31, 2012 - 8:03pm on Monday
We are all set!!!!. We think.. :) happy new year!
- December 31, 2012 - 4:59pm on Monday