New Line is Multifunctional, Feature-Rich.
BOULDER, Colo. (August 8, 2008) – Wenger® – the maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife™ – is rolling out a line of multifunctional backpacks designed for a wide variety of outdoor adventuring. The line includes two technical, alpine-style backpacks that are rich with features and can be customized for virtually any type of outdoor activity.
“We see no limits to where you can use our backpacks,” said Kristine Carey, director of marketing for Wenger’s outdoor gear collection. “Our packs have a place for everything and can be configured for a variety of outdoor activities. Whether it’s a simple day hike, or a more serious, technical climb, we’ve created a highly-versatile product that can be customized to meet your specific needs.”
The new line of backpacks is highlighted by the Zernez, an alpine-style, internal-frame pack featuring an adjustable torso-suspension system for maximum fit. It also incorporates a load-dispersing mechanical system that transfers the load into key areas throughout the pack.
To further enhance comfort and fit, the Zernez comes with an ergonomically-enhanced waist belt. Its unique design features double-density foam, which transitions from a thick to thin density around the hip-bone area, as well as incorporates an air-flow channel to aid in cooling. This maximizes weight load distribution and enhances overall comfort.
The Zernez gets its design inspiration from the Swiss Army Knife. It resembles the sleek, stylish look of the legendary knife and is loaded with purposeful features that allow users to customize the pack. Its versatility is quickly demonstrated when looking at some of the following features:
- The pack’s fitted lid instantly converts into a lumbar pack with an integrated map case and mesh pocket.
- A water bottle pocket that fits a 32-ounce bottle can be secured on one of four receptors located on either side of the pack. You don’t have to remove the backpack to get water – it’s always within reach. The water bottle pocket comes with a safety leash.
- The Zernez integrates a specially designed ice axe holder that incorporates a number of quick-release Velcro® points that can accommodate all styles of ice axes and shovels.
- If you’re traveling with a lot of gear, the pack has multiple attachment points for skis, snow boards, trekking poles, sleeping bags and most climbing equipment.
- The Zernez is loaded with specialty pockets, including a fleece-lined pocket for electronics; a first aid pocket that puts important medical supplies within reach; a front-access pocket that houses an integrated organizer; and even a pocket on the waist belt for a Wenger Swiss Army knife.
- The pack comes with an integrated organizer to keep smaller items like keys, sunglasses, lip balm or a wallet in one place. The organizer easily detaches and can be used as a gear loft in a tent.
- Hydration tube catches are located on both shoulder straps for easy accessibility.
- The Zernez come with a double-sided rain cover, which features the Wenger brand on one side and international orange on the other.
- Gear is easy to secure with large compression straps on the front and sides of the backpack.
The Zernez is constructed from heavy-duty, bomber fabrics that stand up to hardcore, everyday use. The pack is available in two different sizes:
- Zernez 50L – 3,000 cubic inches (13 in. x 25 in. x 9 in.) – 5 lbs., 9 oz. ($249)
- Zernez 60L – 3,600 cubic inches (13 in. x 26.5 in. x 9.5 in.) – 5 lbs., 12 oz. ($269)
In addition to the Zernez, Wenger is launching the Almer, an alpine-style, static backpack with an integrated waist belt. The Almer is a slightly smaller, more compact version of the Zernez and is designed for day hikes, Alpine skiing and other short excursions. The backpack features many of the design innovations found in the Zernez, making it one of the most versatile, feature-rich backpacks for its size.
The Almer comes in two different sizes:
- Almer 30L – 2,000 cubic inches (13 in. x 22 in. x 9.5 in.) – 4 lbs. ($199)
- Almer 40L – 2,440 cubic inches (13 in. x 23.5 in. x 10 in.) – 4 lbs., 8 oz. ($229)
<< Back to Press Releases